Is hosiery in style and if so, how do you wear them? Let’s first understand the differences between pantyhose, stockings and tights. Pantyhose and stockings are sheer. You can see the leg through them. They are traditionally made of silk and nylon. The only difference between pantyhose and stockings is that stockings finish around the mid-thigh and pantyhose come up to your waist. Tights are made with a heavier material and cover from the waist down. Most tights are opaque so you can’t see the leg through them. And, to make things a little more confusing, what we refer to as “pantyhose” in the United States, England refers to as “tights.” So, I’m going to refer to hosiery to encompass pantyhose and stockings and then tights as our two categories today.
Now, the question everyone wants answered…Are tights and hosiery in style? The answer is YES. Black hosiery, whether it is a solid or in a pattern, is absolutely in style, as are all colors of tights. Legs have become a canvas for color and texture. Tights not only keep our legs warm in the cooler weather, but they allow us to extend our summer wardrobe deeper into fall.
So, how do you wear hosiery and tights? Tights and hosiery can be worn under basically anything. The styling possibilities are virtually endless. They can be worn under a dress, a skirt, or under a pair of shorts from last season. They are also great to wear under that dress that is just too short to be worn with bare legs.
Here are some styling rules to keep in mind when adding hosiery and tights into your outfit:
- You can wear colors other than black, but do so with caution. While wearing a bold color certainly makes a statement, be sure that the hosiery/tight color coordinates with the other color tones of your outfit. For example, a teal tight would look great with a hunter green dress, an emerald jacket and a neutral shoe.
- Choose a shoe that will elongate your leg. This can be done in a couple of ways. You can choose a shoe that is the same color as the hosiery/tight. Or, choose one with a heel to help make your legs look longer and leaner. These shoe styles can include: over the knee boots, a bootie, a pointed-toe heel or even an open-toe heel.
- Find a balance. If you are wearing an outfit that has lots of bright colors, tone down the tights.
- Keep patterns subtle. Patterned tights and hosiery are a great way to add texture to your outfit. Just go with subtle colors when adding these patterns.
- Keep things simple. If adding tights or hosiery to your outfit still seem questionable, don’t over-complicate. A simple dress, with a moto-style jacket, tights and boots make a great outfit.
For the live post, please click here: Alexandra Styles. I hope you and your family had a great Halloween! Until next Wednesday…